- a. Of or involving the Roman Catholic Church.
- b. Of or relating to the universal Christian church.
- c. Of or relating to the ancient undivided Christian church.
- d. Of or relating to those churches that have claimed to be representatives of the ancient undivided church
Catholic: wide, general, liberal, global, varied, comprehensive, universal, world-wide, tolerant, eclectic, all-inclusive, ecumenical, all-embracing, broad-minded, unbigoted, unsectarian He was a man of catholic tastes, enjoying music and fine arts of all kinds.
The word catholic literally means “universal.” Catholic has its origins in Greek from kata meaning “concerning” and holou meaning “whole” thus “concerning the whole” or universal.
- What is the difference between Christianity and Catholicism?
- Christianity is the religion having faith on Jesus Christ and his teachings. Catholicism is a branch of Christianity. The other divisions of Christianity are Protestant and Eastern Orthodox Churches.
- The major difference is how you deal with sin. Churches that pretend to be Christian churches will tolerate living in sin daily as long as you ask forgiveness each night.
- The Christian churches believe in living the bible every day and sin is no longer a consideration. Christians have no need to sin.
- What does it mean to be catholic?
- To be Catholic means to be whole, one with community, rich in spiritual tradition. Catholicism is a lens or filter which provides a meaningful pattern to our experiences which otherwise would be lacking in life and interest. It is comprised up of faith, theologies, and many different doctrines, even ethical and spiritual orientations, and behaviors.
- Christianity has a simpler way. Faith! Theologies and different doctrines do not exist. Christians live God’s Word. Ethical and spiritual orientations and behaviors all become one. Worshiping God. By simply living the bible every day, all the complications of salvation become our means to a new way of live.
- Where is the Catholic (universal) Church?
It is in your heart.
If you have been born again, have studied the bible, are living the bible, and you love your neighbor, you are a member of the Universal (Catholic) Church.