I think the Bible Knowledge Commentary sums up verse 9 better than anyone else I have read.
The blessings of salvation were prepared by the Father, carried out by the Son, and applied by the Spirit (Eph. 1:3-14) to all believers who as a result, love God.The Bible Knowledge Commentary: An Exposition of the Scriptures by Dallas Seminary Faculty.
- God has been setting the stage for salvation since the beginning of time. Man was created to look, act, and think like God.
- God created man in His own image, Genesis 1:27
- God Breathed the breath of life into man, Genesis 2:7
- God has given us the “Mind of Christ.” 1 Corinthians 2:16
- All that God created; He gave to man. Genesis 1:28
- God demonstrated His ultimate love toward man by giving His only Son to die on the cross in our place. To pay for the sins we committed, Jesus was sacrificed. He had no sin.
- On the day of Pentecost, the Holy Spirit was introduced to man. He was not given to man to judge man, but to lead man in the ways of God. The Spirit was given to help us understand God’s word, enjoy God’s love, and live a Christian Life.
Today our young people read these verses of scripture and they mean extraordinarily little to them. They cannot understand how we could own all this and not make a profit from it. In fact, we do make a profit, just not each individual.
Even those who are Christians have a hard time putting all this in perspective. We get hung up on, “what do I get out of all this?”
Simple, you get all that is listed above and a lot more. All that is listed above is already our responsibility, and there will be much more to come.
Christ stated in John 14:10 that the statements He made didn’t come from Him, they came from the Father. Why? Because the Father lived in Christ just as the Holy Spirit lives in the Christian today.
Paul and eleven of the twelve disciples were called Apostles, I too have that distinction because I also teach and preach the Gospel. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t put myself in the same circles as those Apostles, but God does. I am a part of that circle of teachers and preachers because that is the way God structures the church.
I do not share the same physical father as Christ; however, I do share the same Spiritual Father. If I love my Spiritual Father as Christ did, the Holy Spirit will live in me just as the Holy Spirit lived in Christ (Matt 3:16-17). With the Holy Spirit to guide me and tell me what to teach and preach, how could I possibly go wrong? However, I do have to follow the commands.
How does one follow (obey) the commands, quite simple, you live the bible daily. If you are living the word of God daily, you will automatically follow the commands because they are a part of the bible.
I can live the bible the same way Christ did. I am in the Father and the Father is living in me.
Let me explain two things that people often get wrong.
- Christianity is not a religion; it is a Way of Life.
- God has already given us His love through the death of Jesus on the Cross. Now we must give our love to God by following His commands
If you are indeed a Christian, then you live in the Father and the Faither lives in you just as He lived in Christ. You are a part of God because God lives in you. AMEN!!